Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Send to Kindle Button

Would you enjoy making it easy to have people send your content to their Kindle for viewing later at their leisure?  Think of it?  This may be the difference between them reading your content and not reading it.  

This is the link to the Kindle Daily Post with information about adding the "send to Kindle button" to your web content: http://www.kindlepost.com/2013/03/send-to-kindle-button.html

I added the button to this blog already and tested it with my newly installed Kindle for my android.  Voila!  Almost as if by magic, it sent my blog contents to my Kindle.

With all the many ways you can have a virtual Kindle device and/or a Kindle this button can be an asset to your web real estate.  That's pretty sweet.

You don't need to be very tech savvy to add the button.  If I can do it... Once I read the Amazon blog post about adding the button, I clicked the link to get the HTML.  There is a lot of stuff on this page I won't pretend to understand.  Instead, I just decided to throw caution to the wind and see what happened if I copied the HTML that appeared when I clicked on the "generate widget code" button.

For this end, the blogger end, this is what I did:
  1. I clicked "design"
  2. Then I clicked "layout"
  3. Then I picked a place to "add a gadget" and clicked
  4. Not seeing an already predone option, I chose the "HTML/JavaScript" option
  5. In the title section I typed, "Send to Kindle Button"
  6. In the content section, I first pasted the HTML that I'd copied from Step 1 on the Amazon page.  Then I added to that HTML by pasting the HTML from Step 2 in the content section.
  7. Then I clicked the "save" button.
  8. As a precaution, I always click any other "save" buttons that show up.
  9. Then I click "view blog" button to view my newly updated blog.  And voila! 
  10. Then I clicked my newly installed "send to kindle button".
  11. Doing this prompted me to sign in with my Amazon info.  I use my email and my password.
  12. A box showed up asking me to choose which of my registered Kindle devices I would like to have the info sent to.
  13. I chose my Kindle for Android (which I first had to install, but for our purposes here I will assume you already have some sort of registered Kindle device)
  14. Then I checked my Android Kindle in the Archive section.  There was my content.
 I'd be lying if I said I didn't think this was really cool.  I loved how the info exchange made my content look like a book.

One thing I don't know about (that if anyone reading this does and would love to share, thank you in advance).  Is there a way for me to do something so the cover of my book looks a little more exciting?  Although, if I have downloaded the content to my device, I am most likely in it for the content and not what the cover looks like.

Also, I added a button to the bottom of every blog post thinking this would allow the reader the option to send only that particular blog post to their Kindle.  My entire blog content was sent to my Kindle.  This blog is quite small at the moment being new and all.  This could be an issue with a well-established blog that already has hundreds of posts.  So...this may be something to experiment with.
There you have it.  Now, what would be more phenomenal than this?



Send to Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment